June & July: Just Surviving
My admin job is... mindless, in a sense.
Working with three people who are much older than me, yet somehow so immature,
is like running a daycare while trying to meet deadlines. It's almost
impressive how I'm expected to keep my sanity and hit targets at the same time.
The best part? I do it too well.
I didn't get the
Hachette internship, yet I'm genuinely so happy for the people who did. My
application for the Hachette entry-level role wasn't reviewed either and, to
top it all off, I got ghosted by the Talent Acquisition Manager at a well-known
publishing house for reasons that remain a mystery to me. Safe to say, life has
been anything but linear.
That said, I'm still here. I'm still
learning, still writing, and still trying to break into publishing, all while
navigating the pleasurable pain, if there is such a thing, of a 9 to 5 that
tests my patience five days a week. If nothing else, it's definitely building
character.
The David Shelley podcast with David
Perell was insanely good. I know CEOs are supposed to be knowledgeable,
although my God, listening to David Shelley speak was intelligence on a
completely different level. Hearing about his journey to becoming CEO was
fascinating. He covered everything from the rise of sprayed edges and book
tours to submissions and pretty much every corner of the publishing industry in
between. I could have listened to him talk for hours.
I finally watched Off Campus and
it was amazing, from the cast and the references to the plot changes and
everything in between. Did it linger in my mind more than I expected? Not
really. Did I rewatch it? I was supposed to. Unfortunately, I couldn't be
bothered. It was great, don't get me wrong. Even so, I'm not exactly counting
down the days until season two.
I watched Argentina get away with what
can only be described as wrestling on a football pitch, which is impressive
considering the sport is meant to involve a ball, not auditioning for WWE. I
watched Egypt get robbed of a chance, the Congo goalkeeper prove a lot of
people wrong, and England actually look like they knew what they were doing for
once. Spain defended like their lives depended on it, or like they genuinely
thought the trophy was the World Cup, which, honestly, I respect. They deserved
the win and proved it.
As for the referee of the final, if you want to know who it was, just open TikTok. I promise you won't have to search for long because there are approximately 300 edits of him. Football fans really do have their priorities in order.
H.D. Carlton once stated that Haunting
Adeline and Hunting Adeline would never become movies or television
adaptations, yet here we are with the announcement that exactly that is
happening.
To be fair, she was never completely
against the idea. She made it clear that it would only happen if the project
was in the right hands, she had creative involvement, and the story was treated
with the care it required. Those conditions appear to have been met, and an
adaptation is now officially in development. It is an interesting reminder
that, in publishing, even the firmest "never" can sometimes become a
"under the right circumstances."
Ana Huang’s The Keeper, the final
instalment in the Gods of Games series, is bringing the series to a
close, and we’ve already been given a look at the artwork alongside the various
exclusive editions.
I can’t say I’m currently counting down
the days until its release, although I have learned not to dismiss an Ana Huang
book too quickly. I felt similarly about book two, The Defender, which
ended up becoming my favourite instalment of the series. So while The Keeper
may not currently have me on the edge of my seat, there is a very real
possibility that it could surprise me.
I’m still here, navigating my way through
a job I don’t particularly love while continuing to build the skills,
experience, and resilience needed to get into the industry I do love. It’s not
exactly the straightforward path I imagined, but apparently careers enjoy
adding unnecessary plot twists.
Then, of course, another Hachette
opportunity appears.
Wow.
I’m wishing everyone applying the very
best of luck, myself included. The publishing industry may be competitive,
unpredictable, and occasionally feel like trying to get through a locked door
with no obvious key, but I’m still knocking.
The biggest lesson I’ve learned in the
workplace is this: an environment only becomes toxic when unacceptable
behaviour is allowed to continue unchecked. Setting boundaries early,
addressing issues directly, and making it clear what you will and won’t tolerate
changes the way people approach you. When you establish that standard from the
beginning, people learn to treat you with the respect you expect.
Let’s see what Anxious August brings
because, yes, it is absolutely anxious, and no, I will not be changing the
name. Some titles simply choose themselves.
I’m not reading anything new just yet;
instead, I’m rereading H.D. Carlton’s Cat & Mouse Duet because apparently,
I needed to remind myself exactly what kind of chaos we’re dealing with.
If it is as dark as I remember, this
movie is going to be an uncomfortable watch. Not because it lacks intrigue,
rather because some scenes are likely to push the boundaries of what audiences
are prepared to see brought to the screen.
As always, My Let’s Connect page
is where it always is, so don’t forget to give it a quick look to see where
else I’m active.
See you between the pages,
Vivian



Comments
Post a Comment